At Acton's Annual Town Meeting on April 3rd, voters awarded a 2017 Community Preservation Grant to the Iron Work Farm for exterior restoration work at Jones Tavern. Included in the project will be new wood shingles for the roof of the northwest ell, and the replacement of the reproduction door to the 1750 taproom addition.
Many thanks to the Acton Community Preservation Committee for their help and guidance, and to all who contributed to the project through our 2016 Annual Appeal.
Visit us during the our Open Houses and check in on the progress!
-- located at 128 Main Street, Acton MA
Purchased in 1964, by the Iron Work Farm in Acton, the main part of the Tavern, originally home to the Jones family of South Acton, was built in 1732 as a house for Samuel Jones, Jr.
By 1750 it had become a tavern and general store. It is speculated to be the first store in Acton and holds the distinction of being the town’s longest established business, merging into James Tuttle’s store in 1845 and operating under various names until 1950.
*Jones Tavern photo circa 1890